Thursday 22 April 2010

Comments welcome but...

Can I remind those of you who want to use my blog to have a go at me or my Party that you are waisting your time. If you want to do that set up your own blog.

One example from today.

Someone ludicrously suggested that since I was the Council Leader and the Lib Dem General Election candidate is a Council employee it is inappropriate for me to have a go at him.

What utter nonsense!

The candidate in question has openly criticised Labour Councillors - who are among his employers - in his leaflets and in the Greenock Telegraph. I have not made any complaint against him to the Chief Executive of the Council for doing this as I accept that it is legitimate for him to do this as an election candidate.

It is also entirely legitimate for me to respond to any criticism he makes of us.

1 comment:

  1. Labour councillors are not the 'employers' of the Lib Dem candidate. The *council* is the employer. Labour councillors - in their capacity as individuals (and members of the Labour party) - can say what they want (within the law) about a Lib Dem candidate. Equally, the Lib Dem candidate can say what he wants about individual Labour councillors, and the policies of the Labour party.
    As long as the party political ding-dong doesn't encroach on the employer-employee relationship between Inverclyde Council and the council employee (who happens to be a Lib Dem candidate) then it's all fair game.
    Complicated, ain't it?
    That said, the Lib Dem candidate's election leaflet (which has just hit my doorstep) talks about 'Fairer Local Health', and 'A fair start for every child'.
    I can only assume he is under the mistaken impression he is standing for election as an MSP, since the Westminster government has as much to do with the issues as the Spanish government.

    ReplyDelete