Saturday 26 March 2011

The future of Bouverie Street...

I see from today's Greenock Telegraph that my fellow Ward 1 Councillor, David Wilson, is concerned about the future of the Bouverie Street tenement building in Port Glasgow.

While I recognise that the tenement has architectural merit I am not convinced that even a major refurbishment would secure its long-term future. With only 40 of the 116 flats occupied it is clear that residents have voted with their feet.

I agree with David that the building has great views over the River Clyde - I remember this well from the time that my grandparents lived there - but that alone is not sufficient to justify spending millions of pounds refurbishing it, assuming of course that River Clyde Homes can come up with the funding.

I await with interest the outcome of the residents' survey.

No comments:

Post a Comment