Thursday 3 September 2015

Inverclyde stands ready to assist...

Who could fail to be moved by the refugee crisis engulfing Europe at present and in particular the shocking pictures on our television screens and in our national newspapers?

I have been approached by both the Leader of Scottish Labour, Kezia Dugdale MSP, and Yvette Cooper MP, the Shadow Home Secretary, to see if my Council could assist with a Scottish and UK wide response to this crisis and I have indicated that Inverclyde stands ready to assist in anyway we can.

I will be discussing this matter in detail with officers next week. In the meantime I have asked the Chief Executive to contact the Scottish Government to indicate our willingness to assist in any government response to this crisis.

Contrary to press reports, I have not been invited to the summit called by the First Minister for tomorrow. I can only assume the reference to Council Leaders in her statement to parliament was meant to mean representatives of COLSA. I have asked the Council's Chief Executive to clarify this matter with the First Minister's Office.


No comments:

Post a Comment