Friday 5 March 2010

The stresses of the job

It has been sad to see the events in the past week surrounding Steven Purcell, my Labour colleague in Glasgow. I wish him a speedy and full recovery from his illness.

As a Council Leader myself, I can appreciate how the stresses of the job apparently led to Steven's illness.

The abrupt way in which his career has come to an end also demonstrates all too clearly the insecurity inherent in politics, which is one of the reasons why I have never given up my job to be a full-time politician.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments and wish Mr Purcell a speedy recovery, but I would be amazed if the Labour party in Scotland had not tried to tempt you into standing at a higher level ,possibly Hollyrood or even a vacant scottish westminster seat.Is this not a future goal for you.

    Iain Drake

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am content with what I am doing at present Iain and feel I have more to achieve before the end of the current Council term in 2012.

    Who knows what the future holds after that.

    ReplyDelete