Wednesday 13 January 2010

Mixed response on parking charges

I received a couple of emails today following the debate at the Safe, Sustainable Communities Committee yesterday over the proposed study into the possible introduction of parking charges in Greenock Town Centre.

The first correspondent was very much against the study believing that the money it will cost could be better spent and he held the firm view that parking charges would drive shoppers out of town to Braehead and Silverburn where parking is free (although not the petrol required to get you there).

The other email came from a couple who run a retail business in West Blackhall Street. They would very much welcome the study as they tell me that cars parked for long periods, often for the entire trading day, are affecting their business and their potential customers. They point out that they struggle to get deliveries without creating disruption on the road and that customers with mobility issues have little or no chance of parking.

For my part, I would certainly not support any system of parking charges that would drive shoppers out of Inverclyde. On the contrary, before I would support the introduction of charging I would need to be convinced that this would help support local shops; make the streets safer; and at the same time address the concerns of the many people who live in the town centre.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Mr McCabe,
    Do you not think perhaps that, before sanctioning a consultation on car parking in the town centre, it would be more prudent to address the dire communications between one end of the district and the other for commuting residents ?

    For example, if I leave my house in Wemyss Bay at 07:45, I do not get to Newark Castle until 08:30(ish).
    The remainder of my journey to Glasgow takes <30 mins - including parking and the walk to the office.

    I think I am typical of a lot of employed people who might be better served by relocating to somewhere in North Ayrshire or Renfrewshire in order to minimise travel time.
    And that would have a greater effect on the local economy, as we shop locally, have a high disposable income, put our children in the local schools, use the local hospitals (including maternity) and tend to pay council tax in the higher bands - just like yourself.

    The fact is, that by the time I have got anywhere near Greenock to shop, it's a comparatively short run to go to one of the bigger centres mentioned in your post.
    And theres more choice.

    Like the blog though !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point, although I am not convinced that the two issues are linked in the way you suggest.

    I do however recognise the challenges of commuting as I travel to Glasgow each day. I also have friends and family who live in Weymss Bay and Inverkip, who commute each day.

    If you email me your contact details to Stephen.McCabe@inverclyde.gov.uk I will ask our officers to outline what discussions they are having with Transport Scotland, who manage the trunk roads,to see if there is any prospect of the issue you highlight being addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The biggest problem between Greenock and port Glasgow is drivers who sit in the outside lane at 20mph from the T-Mobile roundabout because they are turning right up the Clune Brae. Perhaps if local traffic officers were to monitor this kind of behaviour traffic might flow more freely.

    Also the red light jumpers at the Fire Station lights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mr McCabe,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I'm ignoring the respondent above, as that's a matter for someone else to teach people about road etiquette and manners. I doubt the council can do anything to tackle bad manners.

    I digress.

    Regards your colleagues discussions with Transport Scotland, I'm not entirely convinced of the benefit, as it was council officers and committees who probably approved the countless traffic lights, mis siting of an award winning new school building, and the over population of the settlements of Inverkip and Wemyss Bay, given the limiting factor of the road infrastructure.

    I'll be pleased to send you my details when I get home though in the hope that perhaps together we can make some inroads into improving this worsening situation.

    I disagree with you, incidentally. The two issues are linked, as are many other factors which are all contributing to the demise of the area in which I was born in and my family have lived for generations.

    Thanks for the opportunity to have a voice with the administration incidentally.

    ReplyDelete