Tuesday 19 January 2010

Education, Education, Education

Today was all about Education.

First thing in the morning I faced the challenge of getting my 4 kids out to school as my wife, who usually has that pleasure, was attending a seminar in Stirling.

After spending the morning at work in Glasgow it was down to the Council in the afternoon for a couple of meetings.

The first was a presentation on the Council's Community Learning and Development Service. This was very informative, covering the service's role in adult learning and literacy and youth work.

The second was a meeting of the Council's Education and Lifelong Learning Committee. One of the report's on the agenda was on the recently published report by the Literacy Commission.

While we can be rightly proud of our education services in Inverclyde there are still too many of our young people leaving school without basic skills in reading and writing. It is important therefore that we carefully consider the Commission's recommendations and review our own literacy strategy.

Our Acting Director of Education, Albert Henderson, intends to establish a working group to do just that and report back to a future Committee with the outcome.

In the evening I attended a meeting of St Stephen's High School Parent Council.

I try to attend parent councils when I can but with 5 primaries and 2 secondaries covering my ward and my other commitments I don't get along as often as I would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment