Thursday 7 April 2011

Short memories...

I had to laugh when I opened my Greenock Telegraph today to see the smiling face of Lib Dem Councillor Alan Blair as he stood beside a group of central Greenock residents celebrating a £25,000 Big Lottery grant for a new play area in Sir Michael Street.

The article contained no mention that this project had already been allocated £75,000 by the Council - through the good offices of my Labour colleague Jim Clocherty - from funding contained within the Administration's 2010 budget.

The irony of course is that Councillor Blair - who believes that "a playpark is very much needed in that part of central Greenock" - actually voted against the Administration's funding for play areas.

This is just typical of opposition Councillors who want to take credit for projects that they voted against.

We had another example at the recent Policy & Resources Committee when SNP Councillor Jim MacLeod asked when proposals for the £1m investment in Port Glasgow Town Centre contained within the Administration's February 2011 budget would be brought forward, again conveniently forgetting that he voted against this investment.

Our opposition Councillors clearly have short memories, or more likely brass necks!

2 comments:

  1. Mr mcCabe I wrote to you before about getting invloved in my community and you put me in touch with Jim clocherty who directed me to the tara for information on my area,so thanks for the help

    I came across Alan Blair and Charles McCallum at my first ever tara meeting this week . I was not the only one who found him very out of touch with what was going on in his ward. And Mr McCallum just seemed permanently confused god bless him. But we as a group discussing matters afterwards couldnt beleive how these two were ever elected to represent us. I was especially dissapointed by their negativity and lack of vision for our area.It really was an eye opener to the working minds of two of our elected officials.
    It was a lively meeting and apart from these two was very interesting.

    Ps Very interesting and informative blog ,If you ever change ward consider us,or if not point someone good in our direction.
    Ps PS Mr Clocherty was very good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Claire Anne

    ReplyDelete