Saturday 6 February 2010

The meteoric rise of Innes Nelson

I see that the local SNP have chosen Councillor Innes Nelson as their candidate for this year's General Election.

I have to say that I am a bit surprised by this decision. After all Innes has hardly been a Councillor for five minutes and a member of the SNP for ten.

Either he has hidden depths that I have yet to discover or the SNP were really struggling to find someone to stand against sitting Labour MP David Cairns.

While not complacent - you can never take voters for granted - I am quietly confident that Innes won't be swapping the Council Chamber for the House of Commons.

Mind you he certainly has had a meteoric rise.

I wonder what's next for him?

Will he stand for the Scottish Parliament next year against Duncan McNeil?

Will he be looking to replace Jim MacLeod as the SNP's Group Leader?

I suspect that Jim has a bit more to be worried about than Duncan!

2 comments:

  1. As much as I agree with your views on Innes Nelson and I think he is nothing more than an opportunist, I think that the fact that he is being given an opportunity is a credit to the SNP(even though it pains me to say so). As a Labour supporter watching the party impose its own candidates on constituencies and the women only selections, leaves little opportunity for more than capable locals to stand as MPs and MSPs .Between the union selections and the closed door selections by the old boys network maybe decent candidates are opting for parties with a more open selection policy to fulfill ambitions to enter politics. Even becoming a councillor falls under the same old policy selection problems.Various CLPs throughout the party refuse to let anyone outside the privilidged few have their chance
    ,resulting in lack of freshness and ideas.
    I definately wont be voting SNP but a lesson can be taken here.
    Frazer Warwick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Fraser.

    This is not a problem that we face in Inverclyde.

    Our MP David Cairns is a local man as is the MSP for the largest part of the local authority area, Duncan McNeil.

    ReplyDelete