Thursday 11 February 2010

An error of judgement?

I see that SNP Depute First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has got herself in a spot of bother by making representations to the Court pleading for a convicted benefits' fraudster to be shown leniency.

The Depute First Minister's defence - backed "110 per cent" by the First Minister, Alex Salmond - is that she had a duty to make a plea to the Court on behalf of her constituent.

The constituent in question could of course also have sought help from his other elected representatives: his MP, 7 regional list MSPs, 3 or 4 Councillors , depending on the size of the Ward, and 6 MEPs.

I wonder how many of them would have considered it their duty to act in this way?

Personally I would have grave concerns about any elected representative - particularly one as senior as Ms Sturgeon - becoming involved in our independent judicial system.

I simply do not accept that Ms Sturgeon had a duty to do what she did.

What about her duty to the rest of her constituents and to the public purse?

What message does this send out about her attitude to benefits' fraud?

Sometimes politicians have to say no to our constituents.

It may not be popular with the person concerned but it is the right thing to do.

I hope my comments are not construed as a personal attack on Nicola.

I believe she has proved herself to be a very capable Minister and on the one occasion I met her I found her to be very personable.

On this matter however her judgement has been flawed.

No comments:

Post a Comment