Tuesday 31 May 2011

Who will be Labour's Choice?

I see that a number of hopefuls have thrown their hats into the ring to be Labour's candidate for the Westminister by-election following the untimely death of our MP David Cairns.

While the shortlist from which Party members will choose from will not be known until Thursday I am hopeful that my Council colleague Iain McKenzie will be on it.

If he is, I will certainly be giving my support to Iain.

Over the last 8 years Iain has been one of the most hard working and able members of the Council. He is a first class ward Councillor and I am sure is more than capable of making the step up to being a member of parliament.

Iain has been a central part of the strong Labour team on the Council that has delivered for communities across Inverclyde in the last 4 years. In my opinion he would be a worthy successor to David.

That is not to say that we will be taking anything for granted. No matter who the Labour Candidate is we will face a tough battle to retain the seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment