Sunday 29 May 2011

A difficult decision...

Following the recent untimely death of my colleague David Cairns I have been approached by a number of people encouraging me to seek selection as Labour's candidate for the impending by-election.

After much thought, I have decided against putting my name forward. This was a difficult decision but I know that it is the right one.

The main reason for my decision is that I do not want to spend 3 or 4 days a week in London away from my family. My kids are still too young for me to contemplate this.

I will however be seeking re-selection as a Labour candidate for next year's Council elections as I feel that I still have a contribution to make to the community.

The local party will choose our candidate for the by-election at a special meeting next Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Murray McCallum31 May 2011 at 19:27

    Stephen,
    Family aside, deciding not to work in London is a very wise decision. It is also a pity that people committed to improving their community feel compelled to gravitate to a parliament where the grand "vision" is usually the opposite to the reality. I speak as someone who works for a charity for the learning disabled and see at first hand how emotional speeches quickly turn out to be rather hollow.

    We actually went to university together - economics strathclyde. I remember you being a committed Labour person way back then. I remain an advocate of independence.

    I wish you well in continuing to represent your area. Keep your powder dry for a go at Edinburgh maybe?

    Murray McCallum
    Capel, Surrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you Murray - I remember our time together at Strathclyde well.

    The Scottish Parliament in 5 years time would certainly be a more attractive proposition. Who knows, you might get your way and it will be an independent parliament by then!

    Best wishes to you and yours.

    Regards

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete