Friday 11 February 2011

Fighting for the Port...

At yesterday's special Council meeting I was delighted to propose funding of £1.5m for Port Glasgow - £1m for the regeneration of the town centre and £0.5m for the Clune Park Area.

I was disappointed then when I saw that self-proclaimed champion of Port Glasgow, SNP Councillor Jim MacLeod, vote against my proposals.

Instead Councillor MacLeod voted in favour of a motion by Inverkip Councillor Innes Nelson to allocate funding of £600,000 for a new community facility in that village.

So much for standing up for the Port, Jim?

While, unlike you, I might not still live in my home town I always have, and always will, fight its corner.

As an aside, I was a bit mystified by the SNP proposal to allocate £220,000 for the library book replacement fund over the next 2 years while proposing to cut the book fund by £47,000 a year, each and every year, from now on. Talk about giving with the one hand and taking away with the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment