Tuesday 10 August 2010

Battle of the heavyweights

I see that a couple of political heavyweights - the Tories' Scottish Leader Annabel Goldie and the SNP's Derek Mackay, who is Leader of Renfrewshire Council - are looking to become my MSP by standing for the new seat of Renfrewshire North & West, which incorporates Kilmacolm and Quarrier's Village.

Annabel's motto is clearly "if at first you don't succeed...". I suspect however that she will once again have to rely on the Regional List to get elected, unless of course we see a dramatic rise in Tory support before next May.

The strongest challenge to Labour will most likely come from the SNP, although Derek Mackay's decision to cut school transport in parts of the constituency could come back to haunt him.

I will of course be backing Labour Candidate Stuart Clark. I have known Stuart for a number of years and I am convinced he would make an excellent MSP and a worthy successor to the retiring MSP Trish Godman.

No comments:

Post a Comment