Wednesday 4 April 2012

Who is delivering the SNP's leaflets?

I spent this morning in the beautiful and tranquil setting of Quarrier's Village delivering my election leaflets. I arrived about 8.30 to find that the SNP has been there first, or so I thought!

A number of copies of Inverclyde SNP's 8 page election newspaper 'The Inverclyde Independent' (note to SNP: the vast majority of people won't read an 8 page election paper) were lying around one property I went into. One of the residents drew my attention to the the fact that wrapped in the middle of the newspaper were two promotional leaflets for Greenock based businesses. He concluded that the professional distributor who was being paid to deliver the promotional leaflets was at the same time delivering the SNP's newspaper - killing two birds with one stone as the saying goes.

Fair enough some people might say. Well perhaps not.

If the SNP are paying the distributor to deliver their newspaper because they do not have enough activists on the ground then as long these payments are recorded as part of their election expenses that would probably be OK.

If on the other the other hand the distributor is being paid to deliver promotional flyers for local businesses looking for work in these hard pressed times, if I was one of these companies I would not be happy about my flyers being stuck inside a political newspaper, most likely to end up in the blue bin without anyone reading them. I would also not be happy that my business was being associated with a political party without my agreement.

This shoddy practise also exposes the fact that Inverclyde SNP clearly do not have the activists they claim to have.

While some of us are taking holidays from work and relying on friends, family and party members to deliver our leaflets the SNP in Inverclyde are either paying someone to deliver theirs, or even worse using a service that has been paid for by hard pressed local businesses without their knowledge.

They should come clean on what they are doing.

3 comments:

  1. Businesses have paid the SNP to deliver their literature.

    McMillan did this before. Looks shody and detracts from the message. He has learned nothing as per.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that these leaflets are a form of sponsorship. Mr Campbell Sturgess candidate for the SNP party is expert at gaining sponsorship from quite imaginative things. RE: Tatooing body parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard today there is disquiet in the SNP camp. A cllr said the bold Stuart is not pulling his weight in this campaign. Seems there is always some excuse. Fence getting fixed and so on.

    He better keep people happy or he'll be even further down the list next time.

    ReplyDelete