Tuesday 28 December 2010

Strange bedfellows...

I see from the 'Scotsman' that former Tory Scottish Secretary Michael - now Lord - Forsyth is calling for a referendum before the tax powers for the Scottish Parliament proposed by the Calman Commission are introduced by the Westminster Parliament.

While I am not convinced of the need for a referendum - we had one in 1997 on the 3p tax power, which the Scottish Parliament has not used in 11 years - I do share Lord Forsyth's scepticism about these new powers (doesn't politics create some strange bedfellows?), although possibly for different reasons.

I just find it bizarre that Parliamentarians who have spent the last 11 years seeking to limit the ability of local government to use its tax raising powers, and not used the tax varying power given to them by the Scottish people, are so keen on additional tax varying powers. I have yet to hear a convincing case as to how these additional powers will be used to better the lives of the people of Scotland.

Can anyone help me in this regard?

No comments:

Post a Comment