Tuesday 9 November 2010

The future of Education...

I was interested in the coverage today of the views of Keir Bloomer, a leading educationalist, on the management of schools, where Mr Bloomer was arguing that schools should be removed from local authority control and taken over by local community trusts.

While our Council has a reputation for delivering quality education services, we are not complacent. We recognise that there is always room for improvement and that we need to continually look for new ways of meeting the needs of all our young people.

While I strongly believe that our state education system should be democratically accountable I am nevertheless prepared to listen to the case for change. I intend to contact Mr Bloomer to invite him down to Inverclyde to give him an opportunity to explain to us where we are going wrong and to outline how his proposals would improve the quality of education delivered to our young people.

I am sure that, if he accepts my invitation, we will have an interesting debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment